Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Greatest?

So, I'm minding my own business, youtubing it up, and I see another one of those comments from some teenager or twenty-something about which 'rapper' is the best. By the way, if you don't agree with them, your[sic] a hater. [I hate when people who speak English as their first language can not accept the fact that music tastes differ, or differentiate between possession and the contractive form of 'you are', but that's just me, and you already know how I am.] The youths of the 21st century are tragically being led astray. I almost want to campaign for music classes in public schools, but I'll rant on government education another day.

When it comes to great MCs, it's either the 'hardest', the 'hottest', the 'dopest', the 'nicest' or the sickest; who are 'in the game today' (does that count inmates in protective custody?), of his (her) era, or ever (aka so far). As I clicked down the digital memory lane, giving myself a much-needed refresher, and hearing some new joints, I had to ask myself, what does it take to be considered a great MC?
Who are the top 10?
Why are they at the top?
Who came up just short and why?

I'm not a big fan of the reality show pause. You know what I'm talking about. They get you all hyped up to see someone get kicked off a show. Then give the pros and cons for each contestant's dismissal. Then...go to commercial. Epic Suck!!! Not me, and not here. With no further ado, my top rappers are:

(wait for it, wait for it...)


5. Dylan
4. Dylan
3. Dylan
2. Dylan
and
1. Dylan
You know he spits that hot fire!

OK, I'm a funny guy. The MTV debate took many factors into consideration in Naming Jay-Z the #1 MC of all time. Longevity, smash hits, innovation, charisma, pop culture gravitas and more. For me, it all boils down to who I want to listen to. If I walk into one of the few free-standing record stores still in business and look up at a wall full of greatest hits compilations, I'm thinking 'if I never come back here, what will I hate myself for leaving?' If I end up on some desert island, or in some small Caribbean nation nestled in the Yucatan Basin, which spitters do I absolutely have to have in my iPod?

Who do I hope the next great one is studying? You know there's a kid out there right now, in that 9-14 age group. A kid in NYC, or L.A., or Boise, or Sante Fe, or a USAF base in Germany. A kid who is watching the world mess itself up, a kid who reads, a kid whose parents or older sibling is playing a track 4 or 5 times a day that this kid will grow up and say, "When I was young, I used to hear XYZ song EVERY day."

[I'm starting to win tonight's battle against insomnia, so I'll give up my top 10 and hit the pillow.]

10. Jay-Z
9. Andre 3000
8. Eboy
7. Common
4. (tie) Redman / B.I.G. / Ras Kass
3. KRS-ONE
2. NaS
1. Rakim

Check back tomorrow for explanations, examples, exceptions and #11-25.

3 comments:

  1. I'd add Cube, Brotha J and The D.O.C and drop Eboy (which is unfair because I don't know who he is), Redman, and Common. But your list can easily be put up against any list I respect. My 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks for the look.

    Cube was top 10 until I remembered that I had forgotten Redman. Ras Kass is the Cali representer, so it was a little easier to push Cube back. I haven't ordered the next 15, but O'Shea will def be closer to 11 than 25.
    D.O.C. is in the special honorable mention category with Big Pun and Big L. Brother J? Really? All time top 10? What if I told you Eboy is from Detroit...(whit)Eboy...???

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should create a pandora station and share the link to it as a companion item to this post.

    ReplyDelete